Aberjona River & Aberjona Pond
Formerly also spelled Abbajona, “Aberjona” is believed to be a native name. Its meaning is unknown. It is probably related to the term “Aberginians” or “Abarginny-men” which colonists William Wood, Capt. Edward Johnson, and John Greene used in relation to local natives. Aberjona Pond was a swampy section of the river to the west of the railroad below Swanton Street which disappeared in 1968 when the river was channeled into 3 culverts now lying under Ciarcia Field.
Abbott Spring - John Abbott Spring
See Squaw Sachem Spring.
Named for John Quincy Adam, this schoolhouse was built in 1857 on Swanton Street near Washington Street and was replaced in 1876 by the Chapin School.
First owners’ name for the Sanborn House.
Ambrose Elementary School
The current Ambrose School was built on the site of the first Ambrose School which was built during the late 1940s as the Marycliff Academy, a Catholic girls’ school. After purchasing the site in 1969, the town turned it into a public elementary school and named it for former town Engineer Howard Ambrose (1909-1970). Ambrose, a Winchester native, had worked for the town since 1931 as a member of the engineering staff, assistant town engineer (1950), Planning Board Engineer (1956), and town engineer (1967). His name was officially voted for the school during Spring 1971 Town Meeting, and the dedication ceremony was held the next January.
Now known as Mount Pisgah, this hill (like Andrews Road) was named for Hiram Andrews, a farmer who owned much of the land in the area in the early 19th century.
Used for baseball from at least the 1860s until the creation of Manchester Field, this field was formerly located at the southwest corner of Bacon and Church Streets. Like the street, it was named for the Bacon family which owned considerable property and mills north of the Mystic Lakes.
A name formerly applied to the area at the north end of the Mystic Lakes where Robert Bacon and his family maintained mills and where many mill workers lived.
Bellino Park - Joseph M. Bellino Park
This park was named for Heisman Trophy winner Joe Bellino (1938-2018), a Winchester native and Winchester High School graduate (class of 1956). An outstanding athlete in high school, Bellino was awarded the Heisman Trophy in 1960 while starting halfback at the U.S. Naval Academy. He played for the New England Patriots for 3 seasons beginning in 1965 before retiring from football. In 1977 he was elected to the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame. Town Meeting voted the name in 2003, and the park was dedicated on November 20, 2004. Hitherto an open area, the land was set aside for park use in 1996 when Town Meeting voted to rezone and combine the parcel at Winn Square with former Woburn Loop land to create a public park.
Black Ball Pond
Alternate name for Judkins Pond.
Black Horse Village
While the Black Horse Tavern was in active use, the area around it was frequently called Black Horse Village. From the 1740s or earlier to 1835, the tavern operated as a hostelry on Main Street not far from the juncture with Washington Street. It was a favorite stopping place for travelers, including stagecoach passengers. In the 1790s the tavern was on the routes from Boston to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Portland, Maine.
A Colonial bridge, possibly an alternate name to Long Bridge, which crossed Horn Pond Brook at Main Street. According to town historian Henry Chapman, it was possibly named because the growth of trees and brush about it concealed it from the traveler.
Borggaard Beach - Clarence S. Borggaard Beach
Fall 1993 Town Meeting named the beach near the Packer Tennis Courts, after Wedge Pond reopened for swimming, for a Town Meeting member who was instrumental in making the reopening a reality.
Brooks Parkhurst Town Forest
Formerly known as the Clara G. Brooks Woods, the town forest was named after Mrs. Shepard Brooks (1845-1939), last owner of the large Peter Chardon Brooks estate in Medford and Winchester, and for the Parkhurst family. The town purchased the property, acquired for town by a group of citizens including Richard Parkhurst, a neighbor of the woods, in 1941.
Center Falls Dam
Constructed at the same time as the Converse Bridge, this dam was designed by Herbert Kellaway as part of a river-improvement plan carried out in 1914 and 1915.
Chane Square - Daniel Thurston & Vivian Bryson Chane Square
Town Meeting named the plot of land at the intersection of Maple Road and Valley Road during the Spring of 1993. Daniel Chane (1908-1982), a vice-president of the New England Power Company in Boston, served on the School Committee, Finance Committee, and Zoning Board of Appeals, and as a member of Town Meeting.
This former school was built in 1876 on Swanton Street (across from Cedar St.) and named for Dr. Alonzo Chapin. An Amherst graduate educated in Philadelphia, he and his wife were missionaries in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii). They came to Winchester when they had to leave the islands for the sake of Mrs. Chapin’s health. Dr. Chapin practiced medicine in Winchester for 30 years and served on the School Committee (1852, 1866-1876).
In 1640, the northern part of Charlestown was designated Charlestown Village. On October 6, 1642, an act was passed incorporating Woburn into a separate town and stating that “Charlestown Village is called Wooburne.” At that time, Woburn included territory which is now part of Winchester, Wilmington, and Burlington.
Chefalo Park - Harry E. Chefalo Park
By a vote of the 2002 fall Town Meeting, what was commonly known as Wadleigh Field was named to commemorate Harry Chafalo’s longtime service to the community. Chefalo (1906-2001), a plumber by profession, served as a member of Town Meeting, Board of Selectmen, Finance Committee, Water and Sewer Board, Capital Planning Committee, Planning Board, and various other committees. The Chamber of Commerce named him citizen of the year in 1987.
Ciarcia Field - John H. "Jake” Ciarcia Athletic Field
The high school play field, popularly known as Skillings Field, was officially named for “Jake” Ciarcia by Town Meeting in 1995. Ciarcia (1933-2005) was a life-long resident of Winchester who served as Town Engineer for 24 years, retiring in 1994. The Chamber of Commerce named him Citizen of the Year in 1986.
Colonial name for the first bridge built across the Aberjona River at the site of the current Converse Bridge, so named for the cold temperatures at the time of construction.
Reserved for common use, the Winchester Town Common lies before the First Congregational Church, the first church formed in Winchester. In colonial times, the first Common, used for grazing, was located near Winter Pond. The current Common was originally part of the Converse farm and remained farmland for about 2 centuries. When 2 Woburn men purchased it in 1851 for resale as house lots, 6 men of the Congregational Society bought the land to prevent just that. Over the next several years the owners refused to sell the land for development, preferring to offer it to the town for a common. After several Town Meeting discussions on the subject (and some controversy), the town did purchase the land for $7,000 in 1867. Over the years, it has had various features, including a bandstand, jet fountain, tiered fountain, planter, flagpole, and a succession of plantings.
Built in 1915, this bridge was named for the first settler, Edward Converse, who built a dam at the site of the current Center Falls Dam and Converse Bridge in the 1640s.
Cutter Pond & Cutter Brook
Named for the Cutter family which built mills along Horn Pond Brook, Cutter Pond was created as a mill pond and disappeared after the abandonment of the mills. Cutter Brook was the tributary from Cutter Pond to the Aberjona River.
Former name of the area along north Main Street where several members of the Cutter family built their homes. The Cutters maintained mills on Horn Pond Brook. The name survives in the name of an apartment house at 780 Main Street.