Davidson Park - George T. Davidson Park
This park, created in 1932, was named for Park Commissioner George T. Davidson (1877-1954) in 1949. A native of Boston, Davidson spent most of his life in Winchester. Also a member of the Warrant Committee and Board of Selectmen, he was a park commissioner for 30 years, starting in 1917. This park was formed as part of the town’s 1930s river improvement project extending from the town center to Washington Street. A basin was created as a flood expansion area and around it, in the Park Commissioners words, “some 280,000 square feet of swamp area were reclaimed.”
Doherty Apartments - John L. Doherty Apartments
The town’s second senior housing complex, which opened in 1978 on Westley Street, was named for a construction engineer and executive who lived in Winchester for 42 years and was a member of the Winchester Housing Authority member when he died in 1975 at age 75.
See Wedge Pond.
Alfred D. Elliott, a native of Winchester and a builder by profession, spent his entire life in the town and spent much of it as a community volunteer, as an assessor, a Rotarian, and a director of Winning Farm, Winchester Hospital, and the Co-operative Bank. In 1960, he rallied a coalition of volunteers to aid the Park Department in improving the common. In 1929, the town purchased the property along Main Street in front of Wedge Pond. In 1966, 2 years after Elliott died, the Rotary, with assistance from the Garden Club and Park Department, laid out a park named for Elliott. A plaque was affixed to a rock base in December 1966 and the park dedicated the next spring.
This name was applied for a short time to Myopia Hill while Edward Everett owned land on either side of Cambridge Street. Everett (1794-1865) - former president of Harvard University, Governor of Massachusetts, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State, minister to Great Britain, candidate for vice-president, and orator at Gettysburg along with President Lincoln - purchased 16 acres of the original Squaw Sachem farm from the Wyman family in 1858. Everett Avenue was also named for him.
Designating the area west of the town center along and north of Church Street out to Cambridge Street, the Flats is so named because it is flat land. The area was formerly known as Wyman Plains.
This former school (building demolished) was located on Church St. in the center of town. It was named for Stephen M. Gifford of Duxbury, chairman of the Committee on towns when the town founders were petitioning the legislature for the incorporation of Winchester. The school moved to the primary school building at Washington and Myrtle streets, and later a new Gifford School was built on Main Street near the site of the later McCall School.
During Winchester’s parks movement of the 1890s, Edwin Ginn (1838-1914), a successful publisher of educational textbooks, an ardent promoter of the peace movement, and a noted philanthropist, purchased 6 acres above Bacon Street next to his own estate and gave them to the Metropolitan Park Commission, later the Metropolitan District Commission. Ginn Field was laid out as a playground in 1938. In 1980 the Winchester Historical Commission erected a plaque in Ginn’s memory.
A descriptive name for an open space off of Glen Road.
Haggerty, William P. Entrance
In spring 1997, Town Meeting named the south entrance of town Hall for this former town Hall custodian.
A former school located on Highland Avenue at Eaton Street, discontinued in 1943 and its building demolished.
Designating the district around Cross and Washington streets, the name was also formerly applied to:
- Highland Playground - 1st name for Leonard Field
- Highlands Station - A house built on Cross Street by the railroad so that its second floor could be used as a railroad station
- Highland Bethany Society - A nonsectarian religious society whose Sunday School met in the waiting room of the Highlands railway station until 1886 when a chapel was built on Cross Street.
One of the first schools built in Winchester, it was located on High Street near the junction with Ridge Street and named for its location.
Horn Pond Brook
The brook is named for Horn Pond in Woburn from which the brook originates. The pond was named for its shape.
Horn Square - John T. "Jake" Horn Square
Fall 1984 Town Meeting voted to name the general area at the intersection of Main Street and Thompson Street for Jake Horn (1915-1983), a native of Winchester who was maintenance foreman with the Department of Public Works for 34 years. A veteran member of the American Legion, he served as marshal for the Veterans and Memorial Day parades for 37 years.
One of the western hills.
Jenks Senior Center
Constructed in 1978, this building was named for the couple whose generous gift made it possible, Mr. and Mrs. James Jenks.
Johns Baseball Diamond
The baseball diamond on Ginn Field was named for Arthur L. Johns by Spring 1997 Town Meeting. Johns was a former president of the Middlesex Bar Association.
This pond was named for J. B Judkins who owned a quantity of land between Washington Street and the banks of the Aberjona River.
Knowlton Field - Henry T. Knowlton Field
Henry Knowlton was a football player, physical educator, coach, and athletic director. The gridiron section of Manchester Field was named for him by Spring 1974 Town Meeting.