Leonard Field - Augustus M. Leonard Field
Originally known as the Highland Playground, Leonard Field was completed on Washington Street near Cross Street in 1921 with a baseball diamond and backstop and play equipment. The field was renamed for Gus Leonard (1895-1918), a 1914 graduate of the high school who was killed in France during World War I. According to the newspaper account, "Gus" Leonard was a young man of whom his town may well be proud, always enthusiastic about the things that counted most, always willing and doing, a gentleman at all times.” Though named in 1921, the field’s dedication was delayed until Memorial Day in 1925.
Called Leonard Pond because of its proximity to Leonard Field, the pond was designed in 1928 as a flood expansion area along the river. It opened for swimming in 1933. Beset off and on with water quality issues, it was closed for swimming in the late 1980s.
Lincoln Elementary School
Built as Winchester High School in 1904, this building was used as a junior high school from 1956 to 1972 and was, in fact, the building that first bore the name of McCall Junior High School. Converted to an elementary school in 1972, it took its name from the Lincoln School which used to stand at Oak and Westley streets. That school had been named for President Abraham Lincoln.
Locke Farm Conservation Area
Acquired as conservation land in 1972, this 10-acre parcel was formerly farmland owned by the Locke family for about 2 centuries.
A descriptive name for a pond in the Middlesex Fells Reservation.
Built in 1641, this bridge crossed Horn Pond Brook and was named because “the place was so boggy that it swallowed up much wood before it could be made passable.” [Woburn Records, Vol. 1, p. 4, quoted in Chapman, p. 57.]
Loring Avenue Playground
Former name of McDonald Field.
Lynch Elementary School (Former Lynch Junior High School)
In the naming of the second junior high school built in Winchester, Town Meeting in 1961 honored 2 brothers who were killed in the 2 theaters of World War II, Andrew Lynch (1914-1945) and Robert Lynch (1917-1944). Both were graduates of Winchester High School. Staff sergeant Robert Lynch entered the service in August 1942 and was a radio gunner based in England. After completing 24 missions, he was reported missing in action during an Allied raid over Germany in October 1943. In January he was reported killed in action. Posthumously he was awarded the Flying Cross with oak leaf clusters. Andrew Lynch, having joined the army in February 1941, was 1 of the first from Winchester to go overseas. He saw service in several major engagements. After having twice won the Purple Heart, PFC Lynch was killed in action in the Philippines in April 1945. The Lynch Junior High became the Lynch Elementary School in 1980.
When originally named, Manchester Field was a park lying between the railroad and the parkway, while the river wound to the east along the base of the hill where the McCall School now sits. It was named for Forrest C. Manchester (1859-1899), a lawyer and member of Winchester’s first park commission (1893), who spearheaded the town’s parks movement in the 1890. The field was begun in the 1890s along with the Mystic Valley Parkway and finished in 1902. Originally owned by the Metropolitan Park Commission, its management was turned over to the town in 1905. A memorial to Manchester, who died before the project’s completion, was erected in 1931. To create a larger playing field, the river was rerouted in 1946, and the field was shifted to its present position.
The Marycliff Academy was built in 1947 next to the Sanborn House as a Catholic girls’ school. In 1969, it was bought by the town and converted into the Ambrose School. The school retained the name it had when located in Arlington.
Town Hall Auditorium was named in 2001 for W. Chadwick Maurer Jr., Winchester’s Town Manager from 1985 until his death in 1999. It was while Maurer was Town Manager that Town Hall was renovated.
McCall Middle School
Samuel Walker McCall (1851-1923), best remembered as governor of Massachusetts, was 1 of Winchester’s leading figures. Born in Pennsylvania, he grew up in Illinois and attended school in New Hampshire. A Dartmouth graduate, he practiced law before entering politics. He was elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives and then to Congress from the 8th Massachusetts District. He served as governor from 1916 to 1919. President Wilson named him to the US Tariff Commission in 1920. McCall came to Winchester about 1881, living first on Washington Street but moving about 1904 to a new house on Myopia Hill which was part of a development he and George Fernald planned with the assistance of the Olmsted Brothers firm. McCall lived out his life in Winchester. When he died in November 1923, the entire town went into mourning. The junior high school, then using what is not the Lincoln Elementary School building, was named after him in 1961 when a second junior high school (now the Lynch Elementary School) was built. In 1973 the junior high school was moved back into the building now known as the McCall Middle School.
McDonald Field - Elizabeth C. McDonald Field
This field opened in 1925 as the Loring Avenue Playground. Renamed in 1968, the field was dedicated in 1969 to the memory of Elizabeth McDonald (1885-1966), a teacher, Town Meeting member for most of the years from 1929 until her death, and member of several municipal committees, including a committee that studied the condition of Horn Pond Brook and promoted its cleaning in the 1950s. When the field was dedicated, a plaque was erected which pays tribute to “a staunch friend of recreation, beloved community leader, master educator, and fearless advocate of social justice, who served this town for over 50 years.”
McDonough Square - Festus McDonough Square
Spring 1990 Town Meeting named the general area at the intersection at the Arthur Street and Loring Avenue for Festus McDonough (1931-1954) who was killed in the Korean War. McDonough, who served with the Ordinance Corps in an ammunition company of the Army, went overseas in December 1952 and was on active duty from then until the end of the war when he was reported missing and later dead.
Meyer Brook - Herbert Meyer Brook
See Squaw Sachem Brook.
Part of the Aberjona River, this pond was formed when Edward Converse, the first settler of this area, built a dam across the river about 1641 to power a grist mill. A mill stood at the same site until the town acquired the land in 1911. Converse’s dam was at the site of the present Center Falls Dam at Converse Bridge. In former centuries, there were also mills ponds at the Cutter, the Symmes / Bacon, and Richardson Mills; however, none has survived except the pond in the downtown.
Bearing a Biblical name, this hill was acquired in 1903 by the town which built water standpipe on top in 1912 to provide water for the west side of town. It was abandoned in 1945.
Mullen Playground - Herbert Stanley "Babe" Mullen
Located at Ridge Street and Lockeland Road, this field was named for Herbert Mullen (1906-1980), superintendent of the Park Department from 1947 to 1976. A Winchester native and life-long resident, Mullen also served for 40 years as a special police officer and was also a former call fireman. According to the 1976 Annual Report, “Babe’s sense of humor and congenial nature made him 1 of this town’s most popular employees.” The playground was dedicated on November 13, 1982.
Muraco Elementary School
Francis Muraco, class of Winchester High School 1965, was a 21-year-old Marine corporal killed in the Province of Quang Tri, Vietnam, on Thanksgiving Day 1967. During the next year Town Meeting voted unanimously to name the town’s new elementary school, known as the Tufts School (after Tufts Road), for Corp. Muraco, the second Winchester boy to die in Vietnam. In 1969, the school was dedicated in his honor.
Murphy Apartments - Mary E. Murphy Apartments
In 1976 the town’s first senior housing complex, which opened in 1974 on Palmer Street, was named by the Housing Authority for its then chairman.
Overlooking the Mystic Lakes, this hill was named for the Myopia Club. The club originated with a group of boys who used to play together, at first around Wedge Pond, and who took on the name “Myopia” - since they were all near-sighted - in 1876 when they took up baseball. The club acquired a clubhouse on the hill in 1879. In 1882, when more members were interested in hunting than in playing ball, they changed the name of the club to the Myopia Fox Hounds.
In earlier times known as Mystic Pond, the lakes derived their name from the native “Missi-Tuk,” meaning great tidal river.
This former school, now used by the Recreation Department, was named for the Mystic Lakes and River. The Mystic District, including the area annexed from Medford, was 1 of the original school districts when Winchester was incorporated. Several buildings bearing the name were built successively in the district. The last, built on Main Street, opened in 1925.
Former name of the Wedgemere train station.
The former Noonan School was dedicated in 1924 in memory of William J. Noonan (1896-1918), who died in France during the first world war. Noonan was a Winchester native and graduate of WHS, class of 1914. He enlisted in the Marines at Boston in May 1917. After training, he was sent oversees that September. He served at St. Nazaire, from where he went into the front-line trenches. At Belleau Wood, Chateau-Thierry in July he was severely wounded. He returned to action in September, to be killed a month later in the fighting at Blanc Mont Ridge. The building is now used for senior housing.
The North End
The northern end of Main Street, north of Swanton Street to the Woburn line.
Nutile Field - Robert J. Nutile Field
Spring 2007 Town Meeting voted to name Field A. (known as the lit field) at West Side Field for Robert J. Nutile (b. 1949), in recognition of over 40 years of service as coach and leader of the youth baseball and softball programs. He was also a leader with field improvements, including the installation of lights at Field A in 2000. Nutile served as chairman of the Fields Study Committee for 6 years prior to the naming in 2007 and was inducted into the Winchester Sports Foundation Hall of Fame.
O'Connell Plaza - Edward F. O'Connell Plaza
A vote of the Fall 2005 Town Meeting named the area at the corner of Washington and Mount Vernon Streets where the Honor Roll is for Ed O’Connell (1926-2005). A diplomat, O’Connell served Winchester for more than 30 years in public office. He was a member of the Board of Selectmen, Board of Library Trustees, School Committee, and Town Meeting, and also served on several charitable boards. In 2000, the Chamber of Commerce named him Citizen of the Year.