The Triangle designates the section of the North End of Winchester bordered by the Woburn town line to the north, Washington Street down to the intersection with Skillings Road to the east, and the combination of Skillings Road, Middlesex Street, and Sylvester Avenue to the west, a section roughly in the shape of a triangle.
One of the western hills.
Named for the wild turkeys that used to be common there, Turkey Swamp disappeared with the creation of the South Reservoir.
Vinson-Owen Elementary School
This school, which opened in 1961, was named for Maribel Vinson Owen and her daughters Maribel and Laurence, championship skaters who were killed on Feb. 15, 1961, when the plane taking the U.S. Figure Skating team to the world championships in Prague crashed in Belgium killing everyone on board. Maribel Vinson, who later married skating partner Guy Owen, was a 9-time winner of the national women’s figure skating championships and was 3 times a member of US Olympic teams. Daughter Maribel won the National Junior Pairs title in 1956, the National Pairs Championships in 1961, and was a featured performer in the Boston Skating Club’s “Ice Chips” show. Laurence Owen won both the National US Ladies Championships and the North American Championships. The sisters were chosen to be on the US Olympics team, but at ages 20 and 16 they were both lost in the crash.
Former (unofficial) name of Chefalo Park, so called because it was the site of the Wadleigh School.
This grammar school was named for Edwin A. Wadleigh, lawyer, Clerk of the Superior Court, member of School Committee (1860-1865, 1879-1887), and editor of the Evening Star. After he died in 1886, his name was given to the grammar school built on the lot formerly occupied by the Gifford School at Washington and Myrtle streets. In 1901, a second Wadleigh School was built there opposite town Hall. Winchester’s first school house to be made of stone and brick, it was demolished in 1962.
Named for George Washington, the first building of this name was located on Cross Street near Washington Street. It was converted into the New Hope Baptist Church about 1920 and is now a private residence. The last building of the name was built on Highland Avenue and was converted into an apartment building.
Along with the Converse Bridge, this bridge was built in 1914-15 as part of the town’s river improvement plan designed by Herbert Kellaway. Both bridges were named in honor of Winchester’s colonial heritage.
This pond, named for its shape by the earliest settlers, was renamed Echo Lake by a group of citizens in 1860. Though they held a christening ceremony with speeches, band music, and fireworks, the name was not formerly adopted by Town Meeting, was not universally accepted, and did not take.
A name coined by Charles P. Curtis in 1860 for the area around Wedge Pond, where his own house was located. The name was revived in the 1880s for a tennis club and also applied to a choral association. In the 1890s it was used by a housing syndicate developing land in the flats.
Originally, the railroad station just north of the Mystic Lakes was called “Mystic.” In the 1890s it was changed to Wedgemere by the Boston and Maine Railroad to avoid confusion with Mystic Park in Somerville.
Bearing a descriptive name, the town purchased the first 10 acres for the cemetery in 1851 and began selling lots in 1852. Amasa Farrier of Stoneham designed the original plan of lots, carriage-ways, and footpaths. The town acquired 30 additional acres in 1886, and J. O. Goodwin, a civil engineer in Medford, drew a new plan in 1887. Additional lots were subsequently added, and the cemetery currently comprises about 75 acres of land.
An unofficial designation for the plot at the junction of Wildwood, Fletcher, and Willow streets.
Prior to 1934, when the Aberjona River was rechanneled and when Washington Street and the bridge over the river were reconstructed, the Aberjona River crossed the street in 2 sections. The southern-most one was called Willow River.
Winn Square - Robert M. Winn Square
In November 1984, Town Meeting voted to name a 9,479 square foot parcel of town land at the intersection of Main and Swanton Streets to honor the civic contributions of this respected resident of the North End. Winn (1907-1983) was a mailman who was active in town athletic programs, was a Finance Committee member, and served as a Town Meeting member for over 20 years.
The origin of this name is uncertain, possibly named for the season or for the Winter family for whom Winter Hill in Somerville may have been named. The latter idea was put forth by William R. Cutter in The Winchester Record, II:422.
In 1844, a branch of the railroad running about parallel with Main Street from just above the Center to the Woburn line opened. It and the railroad bed which lay idle after the railroad was discontinued in the 1960s became known as the Woburn Loop. In 1983, Town Meeting voted to acquire the land from the MBTA. Much of it is now privately owned. Part of it was used for Bellino Park.
A remnant of the farm on Ridge Street owned successively by 3 families, the Wrights, Lockes, and Hamiltons. In 2007, the town purchased the 20 remaining areas and set aside part to continue as a functioning farm and education center.
An obsolete name for the intersection of High and Ridge Streets, named for Thomas Wright whose house stood at that corner in Colonial times. The Josiah Locke House currently stands at that site.
Since the Wyman family owned a large section of land above Church Street during Colonial and Federal times, the area was once known as Wyman Plains.
One of the town’s original school houses, the first Wyman School was located on Cambridge Street near Deacon Marshall Wyman’s home. Later buildings were located on Church Street, and the last was converted to condominiums.
Like Mt. Pisgah, a biblical name for one of the western cluster of hills.