Winchester History Links & Guides
Help With Research
The Legacy Winchester Project seeks both to preserve and to make readily available the electronically/digitally recorded history of Winchester. At the moment the focus is on video/film only. The posted collection to date (June 2020) includes 26 videos of various elements of Winchester culture and history from 1984 to the present. More should be added as time goes on.
Publications in Print
- Architects of Winchester (available as pdfs)
- Artists of Winchester, 1850-1950
- Children’s History of Winchester
- 500 Sheets: Lt. Col. John Hanlon’s Debt of Honor
- History of Winchester by Chapman and Stone (see below)
- Winchester, Massachusetts, The Architectural Heritage of a Victorian Town
- Wright-Locke Farm: A History in Pictures
History of Winchester by Chapman and Stone
This 2-volume set contains (vol. 1) the history of the town up to 1936, written by Henry Smith Chapman, and (vol. 2) the town’s history from the end of World War I up to 1975 by Bruce Winchester Stone. It is still in print and under copyright by the town. Copies may be purchased from the Winchester Public Library or from Book Ends. Permission to reproduce the work or sections thereof must be obtained by writing to the Board of Selectmen.
Guides to Place Names & Memorials
- A Guide to the Names of Places in Winchester, e.g., Manchester Field, Ambrose School, Myopia Hill
- "Winchester’s Historic, Commemorative and Memorial Signs & Markers" (pdf) by Benjamin Eid (an Eagle Scout project, 2013)
For other publications which may be consulted at the Archival Center or Public Library, see Select Bibliography of Published Resources for the History of Winchester.
- Reproductions of several historic maps are available for purchase from the Winchester Historical Society.
- The Archival Center’s map collection has been indexed in its online catalog.
- The Winchester Public Library’s map collection may be viewed here Maps Maps.
Historic Houses / Sites
- Massachusetts Archives
- Massachusetts Historical Commission
- Middlesex Canal Association
- Winchester Historical Commission
- Winchester Historical Society
- Winchester Town Clerk
- Woburn Historical Society
- Wright-Locke Farm Conservancy