Permanently Disabled Voters

A voter who is permanently disabled need not submit a request for an absentee ballot every election. If such a voter submits a note from a registered physician indicating that they are disabled permanently, the Town Clerk will send an application for an absentee ballot 28 days before every election. Upon receipt of the signed application, the Town Clerk will send the voter an absentee ballot. If the voter submits the application in person, he may obtain the ballot (call first to see if it is available) and vote over the counter. If the ballot is not available, it will be sent to the voter when available. When the application is submitted in person by a family member, the ballot is sent by mail to the voter. In all other cases, the ballot is sent by mail. Ballots may be returned by mail or in person by the voter or a family member. All ballots must be signed by the voter, or if the voter is unable to sign, an assisting person.

Specially Qualified Voters

In addition to registered voters, certain "specially qualified voters" may vote by absentee ballot. A "specially qualified voter" is a person who is a Massachusetts citizen, living outside of the United States, who is at least 18 years old and whose last residence in the United States was Massachusetts. You also may be a "specially qualified voter" if you are otherwise eligible to be a registered voter and your present domicile (a place where you live and plan to remain) is Massachusetts and you are:

  • Out of the town because you are in the active service of the armed forces or merchant marine of the United States
  • A spouse or dependent of such a person, absent from the Commonwealth, or confined in a correctional facility or jail