Except for a few exceptional circumstances, both parties must appear together in person at the office of the Town Clerk in order to obtain a marriage license. The couple must complete and sign under oath an Intention of Marriage which states that there is an absence of any legal impediment to the marriage. Each party must provide the following information:
- Date of birth
- Fee for filing the Intention of Marriage, which is $50
- Intended residence after marriage if not a Massachusetts resident
- Name of father / parent, sex, blood, or marriage relationship (if any) to each other
- Name of mother / parent (including maiden name if applicable)
- Present full name
- Social Security number
- Status of previous marriages / civil unions / domestic partnerships if any
- Surname after marriage
Persons seeking a marriage license must be at least 18 years old or have a court order providing for an exception. Premarital blood tests are no longer required in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts requires a mandatory 3 day waiting period from the time the Intention of Marriage is filed before a marriage license can be issued. A waiver from this period may be obtained from the local District Court. A marriage license must be used within 60 days from the date of filing the Intention of Marriage and may be used for a ceremony conducted in any Massachusetts city or town. The member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace who performs the ceremony must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued.