- Select Board
- MBTA Winchester Center Station Renovation Project
MBTA Winchester Center Station Renovation Project
March 23, 2022
MBTA Commuter Rail Winchester Station - Advisory
- In December 2021, the MBTA awarded a construction contract to Barletta Engineering to complete the Winchester Station Accessibility Improvements project.
- The contractor anticipates mobilizing on site on the week of March 28. This includes the contractor performing surveys of the area and preparing the work site with fence installation, placing vibration monitors, pest management etc.
- Beginning April 4th, all parking at Laraway Road and directly adjacent to the station will be removed throughout the duration of construction
- Noticeable construction activity is anticipated to begin in the Summer of 2022. Construction advisories will be distributed ahead of any significant work taking place. Neighbors can expect increased noise and periods of vibration from heavy equipment and machinery during the early phases of work.
- For more information on this project and to sign up for email updates please visit: MBTA.com/WinchesterStation
We appreciate your patience as we work to complete this important accessibility improvement project. If you have any questions, or would like to sign up for project updates, please feel free to contact the project team at WinchesterStation@mbta.com
March 11, 2022
Due to safety concerns, Winchester Center station was closed for repairs in 2021. The station—which had not had a major update since the 1950s—was in a state of disrepair and did not meet current accessibility standards.
The MBTA is giving the station a complete renovation that will include structural repairs to improve safety, accessibility, and station capacity. The MBTA has demolished the old Winchester Center station and are beginning construction on a new station this spring.
Upcoming Project Milestones:
- Construction starts on April 4th with closure of Laraway Road and parking spaces in the Waterfield and Aberjona Lots
- Quarterly meeting with Select Board on March 28th
- Semi-annual public meeting planned for June 2022
Contact the MBTA
For queries and comments related to Winchester Station Accessibility Improvements, contact WinchesterStation@mbta.com. For construction-related questions or concerns, please contact the construction hotline at 781-218-9717.
December 15, 2021
Winchester Center Station Accessibility Improvements - powerpoint from December 15th meeting
December 1, 2020:
MBTA is proposing delays to the Winchester Commuter Rail Station renovations. More information can be found at www.mbta.com/forging-ahead. They are accepting comments until 5pm on Dec 4th by email email@example.com. The Town Manager’s spoken remarks are below:
Lisa Wong, Winchester Town Manager
Statement to the MBTA, Public Hearing, 12/1/20
Thank you for taking the time to hear from the public. I am opposed to delaying the $49.9 million renovation of the Winchester Train Station. Previous delays to this project more than doubled the cost of this project already, and even a small delay may cost millions more. Delays will negatively impact our small businesses downtown, which are already suffering from the effects of the pandemic. Delays will slow housing growth, which is critical to the economy in Winchester and the greater region.
Winchester families and workers move here because of access to public transportation, in particular the Winchester commuter rail station. That station is now fueling $100s of millions in private investment in Winchester and much needed workforce housing and affordable units for the region. That investment will be in jeopardy if the station project stalls. Winchester has over 400 units in our development pipeline, most within walking distance of the Winchester Commuter Rail Station. One 60 unit development is being built directly adjacent to the train station and is on the same lot that the MBTA needs for easements to complete the renovations. We have worked hard to coordinate this project with the MBTA and a delay will complicate both projects.
The station is in poor condition and if safety concerns close the station soon, any delay in the renovation project will mean a longer closure, more public safety issues, higher costs, more traffic, and more emissions as our riders turn to cars as alternative transportation.
The Winchester station is at 100% design, shovel ready and until now, a fully funded project. Significant work has been put into design, engineering and coordination with the community, most recently around the timing of the project. Town Meeting showed strong support for this project just a few weeks ago by overwhelming passing an article to use town funds to supplement parts of the project. Delaying this project has more costs than benefits and using one time capital dollars for ongoing operations is an expensive long term decision.
We ask you to move forward and invest in a safe and accessible station in the heart of our town. We hope you make the right decision and help this project break ground in 2021.
November 9, 2020:
The MBTA announced proposed service cuts to ferries, busses and trains, both operations and capital as a result of the agency's major budget gap. The changes include a "pause" to the Winchester Commuter Rail renovation originally slated to begin in early 2021. This is not final and there will be a public comment period. Find out more information at https://www.mbta.com/forging-ahead. There will be a virtual community meeting on December 1 at 6pm. Public comments can also be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. The state delegation spoke against these cuts at the Fiscal and Management Control Board Meeting today. The Select Board will finalize written comments at their meeting tonight.
Select Board Documents
- MBTA Warrant Article - Spring 2020
- Parking Impacts - Town Center Regulatory Map - Updated with all changes by BOS - 2017-11-29
- Town of Winchester Parking Impacts_2020-03-11_flattened
- Winchester - Progress Design Submittal for Permitting - 2019_11_01
- Winchester Center Public Meeting - November 21, 2019
- Winchester Center Station - 15% Design Report (PDF)
- Winchester Center Station - Site Plan_2020-04-28
- Winchester Station Improvements FAQs
Winchester Center Station is located on the MBTA’s Lowell Line in downtown Winchester, approximately 7.8 miles from North Station in Boston.
A paper version of the 90% design submittal plans from the MBTA are in the Town Manager’s Office for viewing purposes only.
3/4/2020 - PUBLIC MEETING: Winchester Center Station Upgrades. Open House starts at 6:30pm, Presentation at 7:00pm. McCall School Auditorium
2/4/2020 The MBTA updated their schedule. They expect to bid the project in May, award the project over the summer and begin construction in late/summer/early fall.