WWII 75th Anniversary Commemoration
During the 75th Anniversary of WWII, the Town is endeavoring to remember, document, and commemorate the role that Winchester men and women played in the services and on the home front. We want to hear from veterans or their families and from anyone in or formerly from Winchester who remembers the war years. We also invite anyone with any WWII interests, collections, or expertise to contribute to our events and projects or to make suggestions for other activities.
- To hear from any military or home-front veterans or their families, and anyone who remembers the war years, whether a current or former Winchester resident
- Photographs (scans accepted) for a Wall of Honor and for our historical records
- Stories, whether oral, written, printed, or posted
- Memorabilia, whether donated, copied, or loaned for displays
- Any other information or documentation of the times and activities
PROJECTS/NEWS / EVENTS
- WALL OF HONOR. Encouraged by the Spirit of '45 a Wall of Honor is being assembled. This project's goal is to document the veterans whose names are on the Roll of Honor with photographs. All WWII veterans who enlisted from Winchester and their families are invited to contribute photographs. Read more in the Winchester Star and Daily Times Chronicle.
- "VICTORY ON THE HOME FRONT - WINCHESTER DURING WORLD WAR II," a talk by Ellen Knight in honor of Veterans Day 2017 may be viewed on demand at the WinCAM Web site. The program is illustrated with many unique photos and documents in the collections in the Winchester Archival Center. This program was supported in part by a grant from the Winchester Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.
- "REMEMBERING THE 1940s," a video/oral history project active in 2016 and 2017, resulted in a student documentary. It may be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOikZYFYK0
- WINCHESTER WAR RECORDS - WORLD WAR II. An annotated database of WWII veterans is being produced as a permanent record for the Archival Center.
- VETERANS DAY 2016 was the official start of the Town's observance of the anniversary. Veterans Day 2017 recognized WWII Veterans with photo displays which became the start of a Wall of Honor. Veterans Day in 2018 featured the WWII Wall of Honor.
LIST OF WWII VETERANS NAMES ON THE VETERANS MEMORIAL
WINCHESTER STORIES IN THE NEWS & IN PRINT
- Peace-Time Draft
- "Daughter of Winchester" Decorated by a King
- Civilian Defense
- 500 Sheets: Lt. Col. John Hanlon's Debt of Honor
- British War Relief
- War in the Atlantic
- FDR's Son left Job in Winchester for Navy
- Observation Post
- Uproar Day
- Winchester Stunned by Attacks in the Pacific
- Black Veterans Earned Respect during WWII
- Women Serving with Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines
- Town's First Air Hero
- Town Rallies behind Russian War Relief
- Victory Gardens
- Opening Doors on China
- Education in China Persevered in Wartime
- Patriotic Doc Began Journey to Omaha Beach
- Junk to Jolt the Axis
- Future WAVE heroine at Cocoanut Grove fire
- Residents Enlist as Hollywood Goes to War
- How Winchester bought a B-17 Bomber
- WWII Pilot faced Life and Death Challenges
- Winchester Woman Nursed Worst Casualties at Normandy
- Rotary 75th WWII Anniversary part 1, part 2